Thursday, September 29, 2011

Movers & Shakers

There just isn't enough information out there on moving and packing. Not organized moving and packing anyways. So it's a good thing I started organizing our move to Austin back in January before we even knew it was confirmed...hey, you can never be TOO organized!

For those of you who, like me, love to plan, prepare and perfect just about everything you do, I am going to share what I have learned (through trial and error) about how to keep it together while organizing a long distance move.


Boxes & Paper & Labels, Oh My!

So when my moving company quoted me $38.49 to pack a box (yes that’s $38.49 per packed box) I said what I say anytime I need/love something …”I can do that.” …and so I did…

Here’s what you need for a successful packing kit (quantities will vary by household):


Labels

Labels I, personally, am partial to the Chateau brand labels (available at Solutions). This kit includes labels that are colour-coded by room and include labels for the STUDY, MASTER BED RM, KITCHEN, FAMILY ROOM, LIVING ROOM, among others.

There are a variety of brands out there, so research the ones that work best for you.In my case buying, rather than making, my labels was the most cost-efficient method (once you factor time, convenience, ink and labels). These labels will help to keep you and your movers organized on moving day.


Paper & Bubble Wrap

StoreHandlerHere’s where you have an opportunity to save. Start saving those old newspapers and flyers!! I save the newsprint for padding so that the ink doesn’t transfer onto my hands, or my belongings. When you run out of newspapers, stores carry large packing paper in rolls or sheets. For me, the loose sheets are more efficient because you don’t have to whip out the scissors every time you need a piece. For your more delicate items, use bubble wrap. BUY BULK! Trust me, you will always need more than you think. I am using U Haul’s small bubble wrap (you get an extra 10 feet of wrap with the small bubble’s versus the large) and love the perforated detail. Instead of cutting, you just choose your size and tear. VOILA!

 
Boxes

Stack of BoxcesThey make a box for pretty much everything, but they often don’t come cheap. U Haul has a buy back program where they will buy back any unused boxes, but they are still pricey. Check your local Kijiji or Craigslist for anyone selling used boxes, or alternatively, sell yours once you unpack and recoup some of your costs. You can get anything from sport boxes for your golf clubs to wardrobe boxes for your clothes. These wardrobe boxes are great when you don’t have the time to take your clothes off their hangers, fold, pack, then repeat (in reverse) once you get to your new home.
If you have musical instruments, such as guitars, call your local music store and ask for some boxes, they are usually happy they don't have to break them down and will give them to you for free.
Buy boxes to suit you size and dimensions of the items you are packing. That way you are ensuring that your belongings will arrive in one piece.


Don't Forget....

-Tape
-Permanent Marker
-Wine (that's the part that will keep you sane)
-Utility Knife


Now you are set to Pack the Perfect Box!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts